Sunday 26 July 2009

Careful, its Patrick's pride and joy

The great thing about France is its always sunny (most of the time) and when I'm there its a holiday. We drove the whole family down on the Saturday, leaving at 5.30 (exactly!) to head over to the Chunnel. The kids were anxious, and so were Vix and I. We went straight thru and ended up at her mum and dads house about 14 hours later. Tired, but driving in France is so less stressful than over here in Blighty. We were treated to the mountains and a lovely breakfast outside. What else?
The weather was excellent, and while I was only there for a week (need to be back at work, and have the cycle ride in Aug) packed in load. Vix went into Pau with her Cousin in Law (is that right?) and Steve and I had the kids. Easy when you consider that they have a big house and a pool, similar to the situation over at her parents house. The kids were happy and we spent the time catching up and planning a ride in the mountains the next day. Steve had borrowed a bike (bike isn't exactly the word to describe it), and we ate a leisurely dinner at their house once the girls had returned and Nanny and Bampie were there. Vix fell badly whilst carrying most of our dinner out, and had to pick gravel out of her beautiful knees. Sore, and really in pain, she nonetheless carried on.
The next morning broke early and the weather looked great. I drove to Steve's house and we went to Banere to pick up the bikes and head to the Col du Aspin (1489m). Steve really came through with a Titanium framed beauty, finished off in Dura Ace and all types of spankly kit. A real looker, and just about the right size. We headed out and I just wanted to sprint away, but Steve just reminded me of our target for the day. I eased into it, but still had issues with the warm up. I've always had a problem getting warmed up. Not sure why, but it takes me about 45 min of high BPM to get ready. But this did happen, and once we approached the Col, we went together. Steve told me if I felt good to stretch it out, and I did. The bike, my heart, my legs and head all working together. Next thing I knew, I was at the top. Yeah! We blasted down the Col (well Steve did), he reminded me that I was on Patrick's pride and joy. But we played cat and mouse on the way back to Banere.
Steve let me use his bike on Friday (as we were meeting at his mum and dad's for dinner) and I got in some more riding. Strange that the climbs were much tougher this time.
But, now I'm back in England, and really missing the family. I think tonight will be the worst as they aren't here in the house. But, I do have a webcam that works....
I'll most likely do some work around the house and garden tomorrow, and then will get in some riding, but doubt it will have the same enjoyment as a few days ago.

3 comments:

Living the Dream said...

We loved having you here and only wish you could have stayed for longer.

Otter said...

Right back at you.

Clare said...

Glad you had a good time...I would offer for you to come visit for a weekend but you can't get here LOL