Wednesday 19 November 2008

'Tom Jones should be president'

Wow, was it really only a few days ago? As eluded to in my earlier posts, I was off on a yearly 'Ferret' weekend with my mountain biking mates. For over 7 years the group has been travelling up to Betws for a hit of the Marin trail and then to play on Snowdonia Mountain Range. Last year was my first and it was great, this year it was even better.
We left on Friday morning at 3.45am in a convoy of 4 vehicles to converge on Osterwestry Little Chef. There are guys who don't live in the Tunbridge Wells area that would meet us there. Then, its a bit of 'Olympic Breakfast' (I only it at LC once a year and this is it) and then off to Betws y Coed for the Marin. Usually the group splits into fast, med, and slow on the climb up to the trail, but this time the slow and medium group headed out of the parking lot first with the rest of us setting up bikes and generally faffing about. Then it was off.
Myself (Otter), Goldenballs, Stuntwhippet and Honey started up the silly climb that is Marin. As I felt pretty good, I lead up the climb and was first onto the trailhead and waited for the others. It then became just Goldy, Honey and me in the 'fast' group. We pushed it pretty good, and finished the ride in a state, but all in all great fun. But that was just the appetiser.
After the pub, and then dinner Stuntwhippet and myself started to look at the trails at Coed y Brenin with Goldenballs (who is starting to get VERY fast). He was up for the ride, so off we went to hit the Beast of Brenin. Great, wet, riding at one of the best trail centres in Wales and a good group of guys to ride it with. We missed the pub and went straight over to the B and B and then into the hotel bar for a pint of Purple Moose which ran out quickly and was replaced with Brains anniversary bitter (amazing!).
We had originally looked at a trail run up Snowden on the Pyg trail, but decided to call it a weekend and head back to T Wells for some house points with the wives and kids. A great move, as Vix did appreciate it. So did I, as I was totally wrecked. But, still managed to keep the training up and as I write feel good about my fitness going into the Winter. Here's to more training...
Oh, and the post title? That was heard from the rather stereotypical Welsh barmaid at the Pub in Betws when someone started singing 'It's not unusual'. Ah, Wales.