Friday 8 August 2008

30 metre pool?

Work has started to creep into my training lately, so its been interesting trying to juggle the training and staying focused on my job. At least my family are supporting me.
So, I had to work late Thursday on our Healthy Campus initative and then as I was late in London I stayed overnight in Halls and opened the Sports Centre in the morning. This would normally give me a chance to use my local pool, but it was being used by the Water Polo Club so I tried a different pool.
I walked in and was told that I only had until 8pm. It was 7.23pm so I thought, sure no problem. Went in and found one of the busiest pools I have ever seen. 3 lanes roped off, with a Slow, Med and Fast. I went in Med (along with 10 other souls) and started my 5 lap warmup. Strange, but I felt so heavy in the water. Maybe the busy pool? Anyway, then on to paddles and working on long, slow, technique strokes. Still I felt very heavy. What was going on? Well, as the title says..... I left the pool at 8.10p and thought my lats were going to burst. As I left, I happened to look at the advert for the site. 30 metres! So that was that. What a difference 5 extra metres makes.
And here I was thinking about London for next year. Maybe a bit more practice in open water.

Its been very cool to see some other blogs about guys who have completed triathlons or are preparing. One madman (WildWill) has completed the ULTIMATE. My respect for anyone who has completed any Ironman is growing by the minute. He also happened to give me some of the best advice for improving time in your training. REST.

Thats it. Family are amazing, and really do deserve some credit for letting me get on with training and supporting me when I want to just laze about. Ki has been great and I hope she realises it.

Easy weekend this week, with some light cycling on Saturday and maybe a pool session on Sunday if possible. 5 metres! Think about being in the water for 2.4 miles! No rest in the open water, eh?

2 comments:

Vixbil said...

You know yourself that swimming is your weakness just the fact that you are doing it is amazing. You will be fine on the day and I am even considering that Duathalon you mentioned earlier.....see I was listening and now it is in writing
xx
love you babe

Clare said...

Keep up the training
Take Care
Clare x