Sunday 3 August 2008

Smells like teen spirit


So, spent most of last week working on swimming (I know, why?) even though its only 15% of the Triathlon. My running has really felt good lately, as I have started to fall into a rhythm during breathing. I also have been doing a bit more with my stride and relaxing my foot. For some reason I have been curling my toes whilst going uphill. Don't really have a clue as to why. But at least I have corrected it.
But enough about that. Training is training, and I have been keeping it up and know that it is going to make a difference. Bull went to the pool with me today, and did make a rather good comment on how much better my technique was (easy when you start from the bottom). Of course, I jumped in the pool when we got there pumped up by my improvement and went like a bat out of hell for the first 3 laps and spent the next 3 minutes trying to slow my heart rate down. So I now have that to worry about during the race, as I am sure the moment will catch up with me and make lose my concentration and just sprint off. But I have been trying to keep my strokes per length at 24 -26. If I can continue to 'go long', I should be ok.
Want to see a grown man cry? On Saturday morning I got ready for the show and go with the MTB group. All dressed up, and sure enough a flat on my rear tyre. So much needs to be done to the bike (Bottom Bracket replacement, Headset adjust/replace) and then to see a massive split down the sidewall was just the last straw. So, I went back in and promised myself a swim later that day. But, that didn't happen. We spent most of the day playing with Mabel.
Spent Sunday at Bedgebury. Our annual pass has expired so, went with Bull and his boy. Boy rode his bike without the stabilizers like a pro. He is just starting to get the hang of starting off without a push. Flats and downhills he's fine. Ups are difficult for most people my age, so when he is able to start off on a big un' then we need to look at getting him a cycling coach.
This week sees me ramping up the intensity, with M, T, W, F, S, Su getting a double. I've also put a bid in for some tri shorts, so I don't have to wear the dreaded Speedo. I'll know in a day or so whether I have won.
Adios for now, might be back at ya on Wednesday evening.

2 comments:

Otter said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Clare said...

Good going with the training - hope you win the tri shorts....so not cool to wear a speedo lol
Take Care
Clare (SiL)
xx