Friday 5 September 2008

It makes you stronger


So, a friend happened to say that my blog really only talks about training and never about me, family or anything else. He's right. Mainly its a personal thing, my family is the most important thing to me aside from my faith. Luckily, God puts the two together in just about everything. Even training. The support of my wife and the 'free passes' she gives me to hit the pool, the road or the trails are golden and I thank God that she is cool with these mad things.

It hit me a few days ago that I have grown up. My boy is now in school, and my girls (I've got twin princesses) are able to string together sentences and shout 'No, Daddy' at the top of their voice. The students at my work call me Mr. instead of Dude, and just a few minutes ago one of the Duty Managers in our Sports Centre asked if I had ever heard of 'Pearl Jam'.

When I was younger, my world revolved around bikes, beer and babes. Now, its bikes, babies, and the occasional dinner party. Roger Daltry said, 'Hope I die before I get old' and now he's in his mid sixties. And yet, here I am getting a 6.30a start time for my triathlon, trying to get some friends together for a 'Ferrets Weekend' (my bike club) in Coed y Brenin and Betws y Coed, and have even been thinking of doing a solo or pair 24 hour endurance race.

Is this a mid life crisis? Or am I trying to remind myself that I once was fast, fit and fearless?

Deep enough for ya?

2 comments:

Cliff said...

Oh man..u lost the beer part :P

Thanks for ur comment on my blog. Yes Wildwill is crazy training for IM right now.

It is great to hear another brother in Christ on the triathlon front.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me.

Solo 24 hr endurance race? That's very interesting.

Take it easy...

Maynard Tait said...

No, Bill - it isn't a mid-life crisis. If it was you would be wanting to take your bike and travel around the world before returning home and buying the car of your dreams, quitting your job for good and growing what hair you've got left long, then tying it back in a two-inch ponytail, getting a tattoo saying 'Vicki forever' on your right arm, buying all the Grateful Dead records and then heading down to the local kiddie pub every Friday night to 'stay down with the kidz'.

I say, if your body and wife let you, then do it!

All the best for your last week of training, buddy.

Maynard