Monday 15 September 2008

You line up here...

So, I am officially a finisher in my first triathlon. But, you ask how did I get on?
I spent most of Saturday night getting my kit ready. My wife knew that I was in a mood as I went through our collections of sports bags trying to find just the right one. Then I asked where was the plastic box that boy used to use. She looked at me like I had really lost it, but just smiled and told me to use one in the shed. 'Oh, and don't forget talc.' What a woman!
Bed for 9.30p and up the next morning at 5a. Breakfast was already laid out, and it was just tea and bagels. In the car, and at the site for just before 6a. The parking area was a bit of a mess, and people were all over the place getting sorted. I went in to registration, got signed up and racked my bike along with all of my kit. No turning back now.
Off to the pool, and for some crazy reason I still had my keys in my hand. Now, I am all ready and here I am with keys and energy gel poolside. I ran up to T1 with the keys and placed them in my box, of course forgetting that I had the gel. Anyway, they made us line up then took us to our lane and said, '1 minute in the water'. Then, the whistle blew and we were off.
I blasted through the first couple of laps and then it hit me. I'd gone too fast and my arms were starting to hurt. My breathing was all over the place, and I started to panic. How many had I done, what about my form? I shouldn't have worried. I beat my time by over 8 minutes, but thats not saying much. I'm not a good swimmer.
Out of the pool, with the gel, and I'm off to the bike. 2.21in T1 and I'm on the bike and spinning a nice gear out of town. A monster hill greats me, and I sit and spin up. Then, the fun part. A good .75 mile downhill and I am hammering it. My heart rate has steadied, and now its down to cadence and tempo. I make up a lot of time during this section and really feel good. The gel goes down at 12 miles and next thing I know I'm coming up on T2.
A beautiful dismount, quick shoe change, and I'm out. 1.06 transition, and I'm starting the run. Now, for those that haven't understood the Blog name, Dip (swim), Clip (clip in your pedals), and Skip (run) is what should happen. However, if you are tired, it can be TRIP. I shuffled. Out onto the run and into a beautiful downhill, then an uphill, then a uphill, but all along still running. About halfway, I got my stride and started to feel good. People who were starting were watching me running the other way! I was finishing, and thanks to my name on my race bib, I was getting congratulated by strangers! Now, I remember why I love this!
Up the killer hill, that was a downhill earlier and I am into the parking lot. Then, the finishing inflatable thing! I'd done it. Quick look at the watch, and it was only 2 hours since I started the whole thing. Excellent.
Now, I finished 183 out of over 300 and while it isn't the fastest, I'm pleased. There are ways to get faster (learn to swim would help!), but I know I am hooked. So, a few thank you's are in order for friends who have helped.
Ki-for being so supportive and the 'golden tickets', Clarabelle-for not thinking me daft, Hazel and Richard-for taking an interest in another mad idea, Bull-for making me do it, Ferrets-for pushing me on the locals, WW-you're an ispiration Ironman! Only 299 more days, City University-for letting me train, when I should have been working, Kids-because I want you to be proud, M/D-For spurring me on in the States, boy and girlies-for calling me Sportacus, and lastly to God-its all in Your glory.
Anyone else that I may have missed, you know...
Now, which way to Windsor?

Here's the result:
Swim-14.21 (254st place!)
T1-2.39
Bike-55.55 (151st)
T2-1.06
Run-47.10 (164)
Overall-2.01.11 (183rd)

4 comments:

Clare said...

Congrats Bill - that is amazing. Makes all the hours of training worth it - for you and vix
Take Care
Clare x

WildWill said...

really well done mate. a great performance and a great race report.

and as they say .... onward and upward ...you now have your benchmark which should guid you throu your planning of your training

again ...well done

Living the Dream said...

Well done Bill, here's to the next one. Richard and I are very proud of you, not only for doing this, but for being such a good dad and husband to my daughter. God bless

tri_al said...

congrats on your first tri! i just had my first one too on sunday, did you do warwickshire?

http://runcycleswimvirgin.blogspot.com/