Tuesday 9 September 2008

Its go time

They say that you need to taper prior to a race. In the old days, I didn't train for a specific race as most of the season it was a race every weekend or fortnight. Now however, this tri has been the only thing I have been working towards. So, with that in mind I've dropped down on the time and intensity to get ready for the event.
Yesterday, I taught a Spin class. Unlike some instructors, when I come out of retirement to teach, I run a cycle specific session working on technique and using Heart Rate or percieved exertion. But, I forgot that when your spending you time speaking and spinning your rate goes up. I tried to push the class toward Anaerobic Threshold on the out of the saddle climb (For those about to Rock was the track), but couldn't resist doing it myself. Still think I'm ok for Sunday.
Today, I sneaked in a swim at the pool. Only 30 mins, but worked on being long and fluid. I really felt comfortable in the water and enjoyed just doing a few laps without a specific workout in mind. I can now say that I really wish I had gotten into swimming earlier. Not only is it a great workout, but there is something about the sensation in the pool. Hopefully, after this Sunday I will keep it going, and spend time on learning technique and really getting a proper stroke. While its too early to think about it, I kinda want to get into the Open Water.
So, anyway just a few more days till the tri.

4 comments:

WildWill said...

Good luck on your race .. hope to se a full race report soon

Maynard Tait said...

Keep going! Not long now - the end is in sight!!

Vixbil said...

Go Go Go
xx

Rob Bane said...

Good luck!